5 Important Things to Know about Your Solid Waste Services

A message from Hillsborough County Neighborhood Relations:

Garbage is something that everybody makes, but not many people think about. Here are five frequently asked questions that can help you get the most out of your weekly solid waste services:

1. Who do I call with solid waste questions or concerns?

  • Hillsborough County Solid Waste has a customer call center available at (813) 272-5680 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
  • Residents can also ask questions, report concerns, and request services 24/7 using the County’s online customer service portal.

2. What should I do if my trash or recycling cart gets missed?

  • Report it to Hillsborough County Solid Waste as soon as possible.
  • If you have a missed collection your provider will be required to return within 24 hours to collect the missed waste, excluding Sunday, so keep your carts at the curb until they are serviced.

3. Are there any special programs for older residents or those with physical disabilities?

  • The County offers a senior citizen discount on the annual solid waste disposal assessment for eligible residents 65 years of age or older.
  • Customers who are physically unable to place their garbage or recycling roll carts curbside for collection may qualify for disability back door service at no additional charge.
  • For more information or to apply visit HCFLGov.net/Trash or contact Hillsborough County Solid Waste.

4. Do curbside collection services change on holidays?

  • Hillsborough County suspends garbage, recycling, and yard waste collection on Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day, and garbage and yard waste collection on New Year’s Day.
  • If your collection date falls on a holiday, services will resume on the next regularly scheduled collection day. There are no holiday make-up days. Remember, all trash and recycling must be placed inside the carts to be collected.

5. Which special services are available for large or unusual items?

  • Hillsborough County residential customers have access to the County’s Community Collection Centers and Yard Waste Disposal facilities as part of their annual solid waste disposal assessment.
  • Many items too large to fit in Hillsborough County roll carts, electronics, and household hazardous waste can be taken to a County facility for disposal at no additional cost.
  • Christmas trees without decorations are collected with normal curbside yard waste collections in January. Trees must be cut to 4 feet or shorter to be collected.

Find complete information on Hillsborough County Solid Waste services and what to do with unusual items at HCFLGov.net/Trash.

Thank you,
Hillsborough County Neighborhood Relations